Tuesday, October 22, 2013

UK Masters Degree not recognised by Government of India

What a shock I got when I learnt that UK Taught Masters 1 year degrees are not recognized by Government of India. By then I had spent Rs. 16 lakhs on the course and accommodation. I feel cheated and hung helplessly between rose colored promotions by UK universities in India and rules of Government of India.

Please read this article which makes my point amply clear.

UK degrees: Unrecognised in India!

Today I want to apply for a government job for the position of Assistant Professor. Eligibility criteria is a recognized master's degree. I am so excited that meri mehnat ab kaam aayegi. But then I find that it needs UGC-NET certification. I go to UGC-NET website and apply for the exam. There I have to mention details of masters degree. I read a clause that equivalence of foreign masters degree need to be checked with AIU and Equivalence Certificates should be obtained in the interest of the candidate. I browse to AIU website, soon to find that the government does not recognize UK masters degree since their duration is less than 2 years. Everything starts to crumble around me. I feel dejected and I write this blog post.

At least I got to know about this early enough. I have read about people who have got jobs and then rejected later, throwing their life in disarray.

UK Masters degrees are very good, challenging and satisfying in their own way. I have no regrets on the academic front. But if you are looking to come back to India and want to apply for government jobs in the future, BEWARE!!!! THESE COURSES ARE NOT MEANT FOR YOU!


No comments:

Post a Comment