Friday, October 15, 2010

Success. Can you tell me what it is?

I can read your mind! You are asking me, why Dr. Ambedkar's statue in this blog post? Well, I feel that he is an erudite statesman and he guided our country in the direction of success.

Coming back to the topic. What is success? I feel success is more of a paradox. I work hard and I achieve something, then I am successful. Tomorrow I lose what I had achieved, so I am unsuccessful? Success is not something that you achieve when you reach a goal, but it is the path that is taken to pursue it. I think this is the right definition. This post is open-ended, so I would like to know your opinion.

Success is primarily based on three pillars, Knowledge, Wisdom and Strength. I feel intelligence is not primary because it is derived from these pillars. Knowledge and wisdom is pretty easy to understand, I mean the concept. But how do we define strength?

Strength may be Will Power (grit) and Execution Power (power to get things done). Every person has strong traits and weak traits in his personality. Strong traits are easy to handle because there is immense strength associated with it. You may be the best in that field. I am not only talking about career, but also other simple aspects like housekeeping, emotions, practicality, sex (?), fatherhood, motherhood, unclehood, bachelorhood, old-man-hood (? Well I am sure you guessed it right!) and so on.

My curiosity is towards how to derive strength from the weaker traits in a personality. For example, there are somethings which your inner self desperately wants you to do, but your conscious mind knows that it is wrong and always tells you not to do it. In such situations, the inner self mostly wins.  The few times when your conscious mind has won is always because you derived the strength from some source. I would like to know what are the sources that you derive your strength from? Yesterday, my late beloved granny came in my dreams and whispered something. Today, I gained super-strength from that! There are other cases where I take advice from my beloved ones and so on.

Is it possible to have full control upon oneself?

7 comments:

  1. If you are able to successfully derive strength from the weaker traits in your personality and be able to pursue it, I would consider you a kind of a yogi ;-). Coz resisting the temptations of your inner self is one of the hardest things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. It is the hardest thing to do! Why do you refer to me as a yogi?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anzil: I didn't mean Karma Yogi. I was referring to a spiritual yogi.

    I feel only real life yogis have learnt to master their minds so well after years of meditation and they can resist the temptations of their inner self. I don't think it's a very simple thing to attain for the rest of us, normal folks like you and me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would define success as being content with oneself. I know that sounds kind of paradoxical to the way success is being perceived today (achieve more - earn more .. etc etc). But I consider a person who is at peace with oneself to be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall agree with your point of view. Success is being content with oneself. Adding to the "achieve more - earn more" type of pseudo-success, is the other extreme that we Goans proudly call 'Susegado' which means you are content and also passive. he he..

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Di: I agree that it is very difficult to resist temptation. But that should not take away the power to try it.
    You say "the yogis and the rest of us" why? because they can do something different than what we can do? Then consider this sentence "Di and the rest of us" or "Akshay and the rest of us" are these sentences also valid? why? because ur unique and can do something different than the rest of us (which includes the yogis also!). I don't know whether you are getting my point. All I want to say is that when it comes to the mind, anything is possible. Emotions can be cut through by logic and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete